Sunday, February 13, 2011

Plastic-Free February: Day 13

Laundry. Laundry. Laundry.

I've been researching ways to get around purchasing laundry detergent in the silly plastic packaging. (Even if we use the eco-friendly brand in the concentrated liquid, I still feel terrible about the plastic in the packaging!) Oh, and I need to use the liquid soap option for my washer so buying powder packaged in a cardboard box (while the best option) isn't a choice for us. So it looks like I might be making my own. A little DIY, anyone?

If you're like me and thinking about making my own laundry soap, here are some of the recipes I've found online:

http://asonomagarden.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/how-to-make-homemade-laundry-detergent/

http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2010/05/on-the-laundry-line.html

I'd love to hear about your experiences and recommendations before I proceed. Do you make your own laundry soap? Have any tips or "recipes" to share?

3 comments:

  1. I like to use soapnuts. Have you seen them? Little dried berries filled with saponin. To use them with cold water, you brew them into a tea and use it like liquid detergent. Here's my post about it, however I'm sure the brand I buy is not available overseas. But the post explains how to use them:

    http://myplasticfreelife.com/2009/04/big-plastic-free-soapnuts-giveaway-from/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can refill your laundry detergent bottles at Unpackaged. I actually don't use detergent - just eco balls with a pre-soak in washing soda for anything that needs it (I get the washing soda from Unpackaged too, so no plastic packaging apart from a ziploc bag that I refill every time I go back). You can get the eco balls from Lakeland for about 1/3 of the price I've seen them for anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete